Dear U12 families,
Hello, my name is Ray Lavigne, and I am the head coach for the 2022/2023 U12A hockey team. I would like to welcome everyone to the tryouts.
The following is a list of what I am looking for during tryouts:
Skating Puck handling Attitude Coachability
Shooting Battling Hockey Sense
Angling Team Play
I am aware that some players, and/or their parents, may experience anxiety during this process. PLEASE kindly reinforce with your child that they perform at their best when feeling relaxed and confident. It is also important for parents to help manage their child’s expectations during this process. A rostered position on this team should never be assumed. The process is designed to fairly pick the top players and goalies based on objective criteria.
Sept 26th, 7:30-9pm IRC Red
Sept 27th, 7:15-8:30pm IRC Red
Sept 29th, 7:45-9:15pm IRC Gold
1) You must pre-register your child online (IMHA website) for the upcoming season or present your NRP card
2) Please arrive at least 45mins to 1hr before the tryout begins.
3) When you arrive at the lobby of the IRC, please go to the IMHA table to sign in and receive your child’s tryout jersey.
4) Full protective gear is mandatory, including mouth and neck guards. Players missing equipment WILL NOT be allowed on the ice.
5) YOU MUST attend each tryout. If for whatever reason you are unable to attend, please contact me to discuss.
6) There will be a team of independent evaluators, with no association to the U12 age players, who will be assisting me with assessing and evaluating the players. This will include two goalie evaluators. I will be using the full panel of evaluators to make discissions about which players will make the team. All of these evaluators have a vast experience of coaching and playing hockey at a high level. During and after the tryout, please do not approach the evaluators, as they have a job to do.
7) Communication of my decision will occur after Tuesday as each player is guaranteed 2 tryouts. A list will be posted to the U12A website, by Wednesday at 5pm, with player jersey colour and number. If your child's jersey colour and number are posted, that player will be invited back for Thursday's tryout. The final team decision will be posted on Friday before noon.
There will be a financial commitment from each family. The estimated financial commitment will be approximately $2000. We will be looking for sponsorships and using fundraising to help to reduce the cost for families.
There will also be a time commitment required of each family. We will be on the ice 3-4 times per week including practices and games. It is expected that all players attend all practices, games, and team events.
We will be attending approximately 3-4 tournaments, at least 2 being away tournaments.
I will be looking for the following parent positions:
1) Three assistant coaches
2) One team trainer
3) Two team managers (as a shared role).
4) Other roles including fundraising and on-ice helpers.
If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at [email protected] and/or call or text me at 905-715-8319. I look forward to seeing you at the rink and I wish each and every player the best of luck!
Head Coach U12 A