Coaches Code of Conduct
As a coach of the Innisfil Minor Hockey Association, I agree that I will:
1. Remember that winning is a consideration, but not the only one, nor always the most important one. I will care more about the athlete than winning the game. I will remember that athletes are involved in hockey for development, competition and above all to have fun and must be encouraged to have confidence in themselves.
2. Be reasonable when scheduling games and practices remembering that young athletes have other interests and obligations.
3. Teach my athletes to play fairly and to respect the rules, officials, opponents and teammates. This includes giving all athletes the opportunity to improve their skills, gain confidence and develop self-esteem both in practice and game situations. This supports that all athletes receive equal instruction and support with appropriate and fair playing time, in accordance with the IMHA/OMHA Fair Play Policy/age associated pathways (where implemented).
4. Remember that athletes need a coach they can respect. I will be a positive role model to my athletes. I will display emotional maturity and be alert to the physical safety of all athletes. I will keep my emotions under control and avoid using foul or vulgar language when speaking with an athlete, official, coach or parent.
5. Be generous with my praise when it is deserved; be consistent and honest; be fair and just; I will not criticize athletes publicly; I will continuously work on feedback received from athletes and/or others to enhance my coaching skills. I will dedicate myself and my bench staff to personal improvement and maintenance of required skills.
6. Attempt to adjust to the personal needs and problems of my athletes; be a good listener; never verbally or physically abuse an athlete or official; I will not ridicule or yell at any athletes, game officials or other team officials for making (perceived) mistakes or for poor performance.
7. At all times, refrain from comments or behaviours which are disrespectful, offensive, abusive, racist or sexist. I understand and accept that behaviour which constitutes a violation of the IMHAs operational policies and procedures, including harassment or abuse will not be tolerated, and will be dealt with accordingly. I understand that failure to comply with this Code of Conduct may result in disciplinary action in accordance with the Discipline Policy of the IMHA. Such actions may result in me losing coaching privileges both at the time and in the future.
8. Remember that children athletes play to have fun and I will create an environment where they will develop self-confidence, trust, and respect. I will organize practices that are fun and challenging for my athletes. I will create an environment that supports team players and will address any actions that do not support this type of team environment swiftly and appropriately as outlined in the player code of conduct.
9. Be aware of and respect the pressures that may be placed on all athletes as they strive to balance the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual aspects of their lives. I will conduct practices and participation in competition in a manner so as to allow success in all areas of their lives.
10. Consider the future health and well-being of the athlete when making decisions regarding an injured athlete’s ability to continue playing or training. I will ensure that any injury that occurs during practice or games is reported within 24 hours to the Head Trainer with the appropriate documents. I will continue to update the Head Trainer on the athlete’s progress.
11. Know all playing rules, their interpretations and their proper application to support officials on and off the ice. This approach will help in the development and support of the game. This includes familiarizing myself with the rules, techniques and strategies of hockey and the organizations/tournaments my team will be involved with.
12. Maintain an open line of communication with my athletes’ parents including explaining the goals and objectives of the team and association documents.
13. Ensure that at all times I adhere to the IMHA's and OMHA’s operational policies and procedures, to rules and regulations governing IMHA/OMHA events and activities, and to rules and regulations governing any competitions in which any member participates on behalf of the IMHA/OMHA.
14. Work in cooperation with officials for the benefit of the game. I will remember that every member of the IMHA Executive and bench staff are volunteers and are to be treated with respect at all times, regardless of the circumstances.
15. Abide by the IMHA Cyber Bullying policy.
16. Ensure to follow the rules of communication when dealing with any team issues/concerns and will maintain privacy of the athletes/parents where possible and ethical to do so. This includes abiding with the IMHA “24-Hour Rule” *. I will answer all reasonable questions and requests and use honesty and integrity when answering questions.
17. Not have any interaction with the management of team funds, team bank account or instruct the team manager/treasurer in how to manage such funds outside of the set budget. I will ensure no spouse or family member is involved in the role of team manager and that they will not be involved in team communications, budget or expense expenditures.
18. Remember that “to play the game is great, to love the game is greater”.
I have reviewed the Coach’s Code of Conduct and I commit to adhering to it and to sharing this conduct code with the parents and athletes of my team.
I agree to receive any feedback, educational resources or learning opportunities as deemed appropriate by the IMHA. I also agree to abide by the rules, regulations, and decisions as set by the IMHA and the OMHA.
*IMHA 24-Hour Rule - If any person(s) determine that any concerns, events, methodologies, or conduct requires to be brought forward for attention, then that person(s) is to wait 24 hours after the event prior to initiating the contact. This 24-hour rule allows for emotions to be set aside, placing the event in perspective, and enabling the opportunity for an objective evaluation and approach. The recipient of the information is then allowed 24 hours to respond, for the same purposes.
For IMHA Coach Code of Conduct violators:
I understand that this contract constitutes a PROGRESSIVE PERFOMANCE MANAGEMENT POLICY, however, should the offence/incident be determined as unsafe or warrants quick actions the progressive punishment may need to be waived. Any complaints related to the above will be investigated by the Director of Risk and/or Discipline committee as deemed necessary and managed accordingly.
1. The first reported incident/offence of non-compliance with the Code will result in a written warning from the Director of Risk/Discipline Committee. The coach will be put on probation until the end of the season. Depending on the nature of the offence there is potential that a coach could be removed from their bench for the remainder of the season and into future seasons.
2. The second reported incident/offence will be managed by the discipline committee and could lead to game suspensions in addition to any measures levied by game day officials and as set forth by OMHA rules. During suspensions the expectation is that there will be NO contact with players or coaches will be allowed during games or practices while serving a suspension. Depending on the nature of the offence there is potential that a coach could be removed from their bench for the remainder of the season and into future seasons.
3. The third reported incident/offence will be managed by the discipline committee and termination of the head coach position will occur for the remainder of the current season. Reinstatement as head coach in future seasons will be based on the outcomes of the disciplinary committee’s recommendations. NO contact with players or coaches will be allowed with the team if the head coach is terminated from their position.
Once this form is completed in full, it should be returned immediately to the Risk Management Director for the Innisfil Minor Hockey Association via the team manager by emailing a copy to [email protected]